URBAN ROADS DEPARTMENT
To attain economically viable, socially acceptable and environmentally friendly client oriented service delivery.
To provide an efficient, cost effective and Sustainable Integrated Urban Road system, ensuring accessibility, safety and reliability in the Tamale Metropolis for national development.
The primary function of URD is to plan ,provide and manage the urban road network and related infrastructure, Other functions include:
- Advice the Assembly on the formulation and implementation of Urban Roads Policy.
- Facilitate the prioritization of works and preparation of annual plans and budget for roads infrastructure works in the Metropolis.
- Facilitate the capacity building of road contractors and stakeholders in the Metropolis.
- In collaboration with relevant Departments and other stakeholders coordinate road safety activities in the Metropolis.
- Monitor to ensure that funds from Ghana Road Fund and other sources are used for designated roads in line with approval standards.
- Supervise the provision of road and Transport related infrastructure in the Metropolis.
The Objectives of URD are :
- To progressively reduce the walking and waiting time for public transport in the Central Business Districts and low income communities in the metropolis.
- To develop and apply social, economic and environmental conditions along roads in the region
- To progressively improve environmental conditions along roads in the region
- To Collaborate with other institutions involved in education and enforcement, to reduce the number and severity of road accidents in urban areas.
- To progressively improve the preparation of road network in good condition in the Metropolis, especially in low income and newly developing communities.
URD IS RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Providing traffic planning, management and safety
- Designing roads and related facilities e.g. drains, bridges, culverts
- Providing public transport facilities
- Maintaining roads and related facilities e.g. traffic signals, culverts
- Building human capacity in the roads sub-sector
- Constructing roads and related facilities
- Road and related infrastructure planning and management
- Carrying out road safety audit
OTHER COLLABORATION AGENCIES:
URD COLLABORATE WITH THE FOLLOWING:
- Ghana Highway Authority (GHA)
- Department of Feeder Roads (DFR)
- Motor Traffic And Safety Commission (NRSC)
- Electricity company of Ghana (ECG)
- Ministry of Transport (MoT)
- Ghana Water Company (GWC)
- Lands Commission (LC)
- Lands Valuation Division (LVD)
- Public Procurement Authority (PPA)
- Town and Country Planning Department (TCPD)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Ghana Telecom (GT)
- Driver & Vehicle License Authority (DVLA)
- The General Public
- The Ghanaian Media
SOURCES OF FUNDING
- Ghana Roads Fund
- Government of Ghana (Consolidation Accounts)
- Donor Funds (major ones include World bank and African Development Bank)
- District Assembly Common Fund(DACF)
- District Development Fund (DDF)
- Internally Generated Fund (IGF)